Palo Pinto ISD Elementary At-Home Learning Grading Guidelines
Purpose: While schools are closed due to COVID-19 it will be important to continue to communicate with parents regarding student progress while acknowledging learning conditions have changed. This grading policy is designed to ensure grades are representative of overall student understanding while extending grace to parents and students in this situation.
➢ Assignments prior to April 6, 2020, will be included in the 5th six weeks grading period. Assignments made on or after April 6, 2020, will be included in the 6th six weeks grading period.
➢ The grading guidelines below will apply to assignments made on or after April 6, 2020.
➢ PK - K will continue to use current standards/skills-based grade reporting procedures.
The following will apply to 1st - 6th grades:
The highest of an 85% or the cumulative average of the individual student’s 1st-4th six weeks grade.
Student submits work either in written or electronic format
Student work demonstrates effort and understanding of content to teacher specifications
Student demonstrates progress in understanding
The Grade Placement Committees (GPC) will determine promotion and retention based on student’s performance from the 1st-4th six weeks grades.
All incomplete assignments must be resolved on or before May 13th. Any unresolved incomplete assignments may receive a failing grade.
Student did not pick up a packet and/or did not login to start the assignment online
Student did not complete and turn in any assignments
Incomplete work or work that does not meet assignment specification despite several attempts at contact from the teacher/principal
● Progress toward IEP (Individualized Education Program) goals for students receiving special education services or IAP (Individualized Accommodation Plan) for students receiving 504 services will continue to be monitored and documented. Individual assignments will be modified or accommodated according to the student’s IEP/IAP through collaborative efforts of the student support team and
● There will be no penalty for late work.
● All grades put into the gradebook will be weighted as daily (minor) grades.
● All assignments turned in by students will receive feedback from the teacher. Also, teachers will support instruction through zoom meetings, email, and phone calls.
● Students who do not have internet access at home can receive assistance through email or phone.
● Students who need any type of support (tutoring/reteaching) should communicate with their teacher to schedule a support session via phone or online platform.